Monday, May 5, 2008

Science: It's for Real!


Observe the science!

A little physics will tell you that the energy of one of those balls is equal to the sum of the kinetic and potential energies (before anyone nitpicks me, this is a simplification).

At the ball's maximum height, velocity is zero so the equation looks like this:

And since energy is (more or less) conserved (meaning the total energy is always the same),

Add a little algebra magic and you get:

If you set g (the acceleration due to gravity) to be 9.8 m/s and ymax to be 1 m and graph it, you get this:

What this says simply is that the higher the ball on its trajectory, the slower it moves and the less blurry it will appear in the photograph.


Science! (Also, Justin can sort of juggle 5 balls now. That's a lot.)

Now with that out of the way, stupid pictures!

Vilka Kitty


Here, blurriness doesn't indicate position along a projectile trajectory but desperation to escape.


Remember that time we dorked out and drank margaritas whilst watching Battlestar Galactica? (Also, I'm squishing your head).


It wasn't really a sleepover as Mirri's shirt might suggest.


This was right before Travis zombied Mirri's brains away.


Fridgeside doodles.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't BSG hard enough to follow when you're sober?

Also, yay physics! You should totally talk about the optics that cause depth-of-field, too.

Kristin said...

We weren't drunk. We just had margaritas. In fact, I'm pretty much never drunk.

I don't really know that much about optics. We covered it really quickly in my introductory classes and I haven't gotten around to taking the actual course on optics yet. All I know is Snell's law. And total internal reflection but those are pretty related.

D said...

Sometimes I think that the main reason I need to come and visit you is so that you can subject me to BSG. I'm a terrible geek; I've never seen a single episode.

How would a geek commit seppuku, anyway?

Kristin said...

You know, you always could subject yourself to BSG. =P

By light saber?

By the way, do you have a blog somewhere not on SG land?

Anonymous said...

Well done little mini-lecture... I enjoyed it.

And blurriness in a cat certainly demonstrates demonstrates a desire to make like a projectile...

And you have to aim when squishing my head; shooting from the hip like that , I will just dodge to safety. ;)

Kristin said...

Man that squishing your head photo took like 10 minutes to line up. Justin was all "up, up, no down a little, fingers bigger," etc. It was kind of ridiculous.

Amusing Noise said...

I am pretty sure your the only person i have ever met(i guess met is probably the wrong word in our case) that uses physics equations to show why stuff is blurry. Thats awesome. Thanks for reminding me about your blog to. I completely forgot i had an account here.
-roguemind

Unknown said...

Yay skience!

(Just testing if I can comment here. It's the troll. *waves*)